Further inland from the river lies CORREGGIO, fiefdom of the family of the same name. The Princes’ Palace (1507), in a style influenced by Ferrara with a beautiful doorway with Renaissance grotesque motifs, lies just metres away from the collegiate church of San Quirino (1513) and the nineteenth-century theatre.
The urban plan of Correggio was completed in the seventeenth century and the old town is full of squares and churches.
Its moment of glory, which had witnessed the splendours of a court rich in intellectual ferment, ended in 1635 when it passed to Modena.
A beautiful museum illustrates the town’s historical and artistic events.