Not far from Correggio lies the castle of SAN MARTINO IN RIO, originally owned by the Marquis Boniface of Canossa.
In 1157 it was taken and destroyed by Frederick Barbarossa. It was rebuilt by the Roberti family from Reggio who remained in possession until 1418.
Later, under the Este family, the settlement around the castle was expanded, adding some notable monuments.
Today the castle houses the library and the Museum of Agriculture, one of the region’s most interesting ethnographic collections and a centre for study and publications.