SCANDIANO, described by the poet Carducci as “land of scholars and poets” and symbolized by the bulk of its fortress and an old town centre where Renaissance features are still clearly visible, is set among the first hills.

On its donation to Feltrino Boiardi in 1423 complex restoration work began on the fortifications as well as the construction of new walls.

In 1567 the fiefdom passed to Count Ottavio Thiene and then to the Este family in the following century.

The poet Matteo Maria Boiardo enjoyed seignorial power here, and of the town’s scientists we should remember is Lazzaro Spallanzani, whose house is now restored for public use.

Boiardo Fortress, Scandiano